Monday, August 30, 2010

The Piper who Opposes Change

One date night long ago, before the kids, I took Maria to Peter Piper Pizza.  We were flooded with good memories after reading Da Teller Bears recent blog about robbing the piggy bank we decided to do the same.  I grabbed Davis' bank and my change jar and pulled out all the quarters - it totaled $28.25.  I did not have coin wrappers so I made some using regular construction paper and tape.  I loaded up the family and we went.  I approached the ordering counter and presented a coupon and made my order.  While the order was being entered into the register I asked if they accepted "children's piggy bank change" and was told yes.  I then handed him the two home-rolled bundles of change.  He looked at them and then walked away.  Just a moment later he returned with his manager.  The manager then began to chastise me for bringing in so many quarters and told me that he would not be able to accept more than just the $20.  I told him that was fine because I had no intention of spending more money here.  He then told me that he would have to count all the quarters, I told him that would be fine that we had time (Maria and the kids already went and sat down).  He looked at the rolls a couple more times, tapped them on the counter, then finished ringing me up and stopped harassing me. 

I have seen in windows and counters where place won't accept large bills but to try and not accept my change, pre-counted and neatly rolled - what's the deal with that?  I have worked a lot of cash handling retail jobs in my life and I have never turned away rolled quarters.  At the bank for instance we were given a $10 margin of error (above or below balanced) - one missing quarter in the roll was not going to break the bank.  I even initialed the rolls and provided my phone number as a courtesy. 

I can't wait to go back next year after we have enough copper in our banks.

3 comments:

~Momstar said...

LOL Too funny. What a jerk. We won't be going there when we raid our piggy bank! :(

Ammon and Lindsey Teller said...

OH MY FRIGGIN HECK!!!! I'm so excited that you got so excited from our experience but I would never go to that PPP ever again!! You should let me know which one it is so I can make sure and boycott the place and bad-mouth it forever!! They are an establishment known for their token-taking games and they won't take a pile of quarters?!?!?!! I'm getting so mad for you!!!!! I'm running out of the allowed exclamation marks for one post, so I will stop just by saying that we went to the one on Power and McKellips on a Friday night and were there right to closing and never had a single complaint. So I suggest going to that one next time. Sorry they put a dent in your evening.

The Hanchetts said...

Growing up, my sister and I ran a soda machine at my dad's work so we ALWAYS had tonz of quarters. People hated when we would pay in quarters. They would let us pay all with quarters as long as it wasn't rolled. they always had such a hard time with the quarter rolls like we were going to rip them off. But it was always funny when they told us the total and we would proceed to dump out our roll of quarters and count out $15 or so. :)