Monday, August 23, 2010

Marty's Roll-A-Round Rink

This morning the kids were being whiny and cross so I loaded them up in the car and started driving.  We ended up in Coolidge and I found this:

I know it is not the best picture because in my haste I didn't take the camera, so the camera phone will have to do.  I have only good and nostalgic feelings for this old place, now not even open.  An old guy, presumably "Marty", played "Brown Eyed girl", by Van Morrison, which at the time made me wish I had brown eyes.      This roller rink had the most blue, crooked, and uneven floors that I have ever seen at a skating rink, where at a mutual activity my cousin, Mike, broke his leg.  Honestly, I can't even skate well or at all for that matter.   I don't remember windows just a dimly lit floor which helped to mask my  awful skate skills.  The best part about going there was my QC 1st ward family.  If you remember this place let me know what your memories are.  Maybe the floors weren't even blue?!!!  It has been a long time since I have been there.

5 comments:

Lyndsay Winters said...

I thought the floors were just wood...I definitely remember a mutual activity or two at that old rink. Queen creek 2nd Ward for me though :) Lots of fun!

Unknown said...

oh I remember going and oodling over the ward boys. ie. jim epps and tyler vanharen. haha.

The Varo's said...

i remember that weird "limbo" thing that would drop from the ceiling. it was like a broomstick with rope connected at the two ends. scary.

oh and i will forever connect coolidge with marty's AND joel, the fairy dust blowing boy toy. hahhaahhahahaah! i love me some YMCA and Taco Loco. i can't believe we ever ate there. gross.

Jann said...

What a fun memory. I used to love rides in the car with my kids. They usually behaved in the car.

While we were in Florida, and James was working crazy long hours, I loaded up the kids and drove like 6 hours to the everglades. We got out of the van, looked at the water, said that was nice, loaded back up and drove the 6 hours home. It did eat up the day. We still beat James home.

Todd, Lara, Aubrey, and Graham said...

Good times!